What Is A Public Insurance Adjuster?

Did you know there are different
kinds of Insurance adjusters?

Not all insurance adjusters are made the same, and while they all require a license, who hires them and who's best interest they represent are very, very different. In the state of Texas, there are 3 different categories of insurance adjusters according to the Texas Department of Insurance:

  • Public Insurance Adjusters
  • Independent Insurance Adjusters
  • Staff Insurance Adjusters

What is a Public Insurance Adjuster?

A public insurance adjuster is an expert in the field of insurance. A public insurance adjuster is hired by you, not by the insurance company and is responsible for making sure that everything is done correctly and in a timely manner to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. Public insurance adjusters are typically paid based on a percentage of the claim, so they are motivated to get you every penny that you deserve and are legally obligated to represent your best interests, not their own interests or those of the insurance company.

What is an Independent Insurance Adjuster?

An independent insurance adjuster is and adjuster who works on an as-needed for an insurance company, often during times of disaster or high claim volume. These can be natural disasters such as a hurricane, tornado, hail storm, fire, or snow storm or they can be man-made disasters, such as a factory explosion, oil spill, or chemical leak. They are often paid by the insurance company based on the number of claims that they close, so they move as fast as possible (speed and accuracy don't generally go together) and are legally obligated to represent only the rights of an insurance carrier, not the claimant (you). 

What is a Staff Insurance Adjuster?

A staff adjuster is someone who works directly for an insurance company on a full time basis. They are typically salaried employees that handle the typical day to day operations to evaluate damage and determine if you should be paid a claim or not. Because they are paid by the insurance company, their obligation is to the company, not you. Insurance companies are notorious for underpaying insurance claims or flat out denying homeowners claims, and you can bet that they train their staff adjusters to do exactly that. If a staff insurance adjuster finds that your home is damaged, but it's not covered under your policy, then you will need to hire an independent adjuster like Claim Monsters.

Like what you read? Please help us with a share! 

You may also like

Has your claim been denied or underpaid by your insurance company?